Saturday, May 24, 2008

Blognote from Anne 5*24*08

Hello,

The deadline for POSTMARKED 2008 entries is tomorrow...but I know mail will continue to stream in for the next week. I am hanging the exhibit June 1 -- we only have ONE DAY for it! Pat and Lucette and Yoshie and Mara and John are going to help, and Katie will come for a little while for support.  It will be a terrific exhibit with over 400 works of art!

I am receiving so much mail these days! Today The Village Postmark just handed me a U.S.P.S. crate full of mail art! Besides mail from Mississippi, there were many from all over SoCal. I recognized a few names from past POSTMARK years (thank you Nancy!).  Upland HS and Kaiser HS sent lots of envelopes and envelope creations... The Village Postmark clerks are joining in chatting with me now about each piece that arrives, telling me their favorite.  I love it.  They have been so great to keep the art work safe. 

The Claremont Post Office has been tolerant to a degree of the art we bring in to mail...many are clearly frustrated with any deviance from the standard placement of the address, but most of them grin and bear it. I took a long time the other day when there was no line behind me, to pick out unusual stamps -- this is the opportunity to use those odd denominations.  I wish I had thought of the Sinatra stamp when I sent the vintage music envelopes in the other day.

I have finally had time to send out a few pieces to those of you who were kindly directing me in the beginning of this season -- telling me about mail art history and protocol, and sending me fabulous mail art for the show.  I have made some new contacts that are valuable to me and I am chomping at the bit to get more involved in more mail art exhibitions.

Welp, as my friend Peter used to say,I just wanted to write a note for a blog.  I will be entering the new work in within a day or so....

Cheers,
Anne

No comments: